Tonight was a night like no other, a night that made me laugh so hard that I not only wet my pants, but laughed until tears fell from my cheeks. Tonight was the night my mother and I went to see a community theatre production called Nunsense. Before you get too excited, the play was a load of nonsense, but the situation surrounding the play, and the bizarre nature of it was what made it a memorable evening.
Nunsense was supposed to be a play about a group of nuns putting on a Christmas play at their convent. Things go wrong in the production on stage (it's part of the play). It gets chaotic. That's where it got strange. There were moments of such bizarreness that I got lost. For instance, why did the nuns have chicken feathers on their heads, ballerina tutus, and odd looking hats while dancing? I'm not sure. Why was there a scene where the priest pretends to be a drunk Julia Child, while cooking fruitcake with ceramic fruit? Your guess is as good as mine. And of course no Christmas play is complete without a talented nun strolling out wearing red cowboy boots, a red cowboy hat, and a talent for yodeling. And how could it be Christmas without a nun reminiscing about a carnival Christmas?
There were several moments that my mother and I turned to one another and exchanged meaningful looks that screamed, What in the hell is going on? At one moment, my mother turned to me and said, "It's like a nightmare!" During this particular moment, everyone was out on stage, dancing around in their weird outfits, with a priest acting drunk and stumbling around. The tears of laughter started then. The wetting occurred when my mother suddenly said, "Oh no. Here comes the puppet again!" Yes, the puppet. One of the nuns had a puppet. You had to be there, folks. The tears and wetting came from the hilarity that comes from witnessing something of such strange proportion that you're not sure whether you're awake or in some strange dream.
The best part? My mom and I happened to sit next to a kid with Tourette's Syndrome, and he kept randomly saying, "Fuck!" or "Fuck it!" I know, I know, it's not funny, but it is. Especially when you're surrounded by nuns and a priest. It would be complete silence, and then this kid would say, "Fuck it!" With the hilarity of everything else going on, I'm sorry, but this was just too much to handle.
When the intermission lights finally came on, my mother and I sprang from out seats, with the well said, "Fuck it!" echoing behind us.
No comments:
Post a Comment