"Every Day Above Ground is a Good One."




Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Where the buffalo roam...apparently not in South Dakota

Today was great f un. I went and had lunch with a good friend, and then we came up with the plan to torture our favorite teacher with a collection of gag gifts.  Throughout the years, we each have had our own special stories we'd like to exchange with this teacher.  Mine inevitably dealt with squirrels and hillbillies, while hers dealt with chickens and buffalo.  Do not ask.  Haha.  So we decided to go on a search for a squirrel item, a chicken, and a buffalo in our little South Dakota town.  I found a strange squirrel candy dish, and she found a ceramic chicken.  We then searched for over and hour in a variety of different locations for a damn buffalo! You'd think since we lived in the state of South Dakota that we could find a fricken buffalo, but nooooo!!!! So my friend resorted to framing a comic she utilized in one of her creative nonfiction stories, for said teacher's class, dealing with buffaloes.  Take that!!! We then got a gift bag and some tissue paper, wrapped them all up, snuck to his office, and hung them on his door.  We didn't put our names on them, except for the not so enigmatic hint, "From the combined creative minds of you know who."  Hehe.  I would love to see his face when he reads that.  He'll probably be like, "Oh Christ."  Haha. Good times.  I don't think I've giggled as much since highschool.  What great fun!
On a side note, my friend found this really weird fairy-like grasshopper figurine as this thrift store today.  That wasn't the weird part though.  The weird part was this grasshopper was holding a pot of tea and a tea cup.  Haha. It was the ugliest thing I have ever seen, and I think one of the strangest. 
I went around and took some pictures of the campus this evening, and froze my toosh off! I missed the free food at my complex as a result, but it was well worth it! The campus is so beautiful. I cannot think of leaving it behind.  It is my second home.  So my brain files it under "denial".  I wonder how much longer that will hold...

2 comments:

  1. Oh my good god. The Great USD Buffalo Hunt of 2010! You know, I don't think I had this much problem finding a dagnabbit buffalo when I lived in Iowa! Cripes, you can go to Walmart here in town & buy a buffalo roast for cryin' out loud. But find a buffalo, even a plastic one? Nope. Oh well, it was lots of fun! By the way, I've decided to duct tape you to your door so you can't leave. I promise to feed you twice a day.

    ReplyDelete